Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Now

I created a blanket using some of my old Rutgers t-shirts. I started off using scissors and cutting the necks off the shirts and the sleeves. (took a long break to make some COVID-19 masks with the old sleeves) Then I had to cut the content off of the shirts like the wording I was going to use for the blanket. I ended up sewing each shirt together which took way longer than it would have if I had no distractions however, I am home so it took since April 3rd to make the whole thing.

The idea came about my freshman year so I have been collecting shirts for about four years to eventually make a blanket. This class pushed me to actually take them all out of the box they were sitting in and create this piece. I am thankful I am home to be able to create this work. The meaning behind every shirt is different. Some are orgs I joined on campus and others are parts of shirts I wore when I did community service around Newark. I made sure to incorporate the shirts from soccer games because to me it was the main reason I would stay late on my free days at Rutgers. I remember the bad days got better watching soccer and the good days became great as I would walk to the field to see my friends play the sport they love.

I created the blanket because I want it to serve as a daily reminder I spent my time at Rutgers doing things I love and that I will never forget my roots. My self-identity and image came into fruition as I grew through the system of higher education. The idea was always to go to school to pursue something I loved and I never thought I would meet phenomenal people along the way and enjoy my time in college.


My mom taught me how to sew when I was about 8 years old and by that time I would spend my free time watching her make works of art. In my mind, this has always been a hobby but, for the past few years I put it on hold in order to pursue my education and focus. All I did was sleep or do homework in my free time so being at home allowed me to finally tap back into what I love to do. Although every line is not straight I would say it’s pretty much way better than I thought it would turn out when I first started it. I got frustrated so many times and pricked my fingers about 200 times in the process. It was the best experience of being home because from the start to finish, just like college, I did it by pushing myself to give it my all. Due to COVID -19, I have time to spend doing things I love and I am able to stay on top of my work while having a bit of fun.


3 comments:

  1. I love this! Also bunnies. The quilt artist I mentioned was Faith Ringgold. Quilting in general is such a rich tradition. I am very excited that you will have this always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layla your truly amazing, I'm so happy I got to meet you. Congratulations graduate. Keep changing the world. Stay awesome and blessed.

    ReplyDelete