Thursday, April 23, 2020

Self-Portrait


This project is inspired by the growth of trees. Rather than creating a regular self-portrait, I decided to combine something that symbolizes growth, while still having a ‘realistic’ aspect. The lemon tree is growing from half of the head and body. The bottom portion is a neck and shoulders, similar to a vase. In reference to my midterm letter, a large piece was growth. There are many ways to grow as a human being - whether that is being more patient or healing from trauma. Trees represent life in many ways, and especially how many of them change throughout seasons. Our lives shift the way the seasons do, and similar to how leaves fall and grow once again. Change is a large part of the human experience, which is something I have learned to truly value. As well as this, trees represent strength. They are deep-rooted through harsh winds, rain, and sunshine. Navigating through hardships is difficult, but we will always grow and rise again. In addition, I enjoy drawing plants and trees. The first nature-inspired drawing I created, I was so focused on making it perfect - except, nature is not perfect. And neither are we, which is absolutely okay. There is strength in recognizing our faults and working through the process of healing. I hope to encourage others to take a step back and acknowledge how far they have come. 

Furthermore, ‘A Feminist Manifesto’ was very inspiring, especially in terms of how women must reject the idea of being likable and the other countless harmful patterns instilled into us. There are many ways to grow as a person, and one is embracing these feminist ideals and unlearning damaging beliefs. This drawing is inspired by readings like these, as they ultimately describe ways to ensure consistent and healthy growth. Human beings are incredibly complex, but through understanding and analyzing concepts (such as unfair gender roles and the importance of one’s sense of identity), we can work towards being the best versions of ourselves.

Moreover, in terms of my professional goals, I wish to inspire others and support those in need of comfort and kindness. Due to this, I will be changing my major to social work. I hope to develop further my inner peace and possibly a sense of purpose. I look forward to assisting those who have experienced sexual and/or domestic violence and plan to use my experience and knowledge to create a safe space. While it is essential to focus on our personal growth, it is also necessary to support one another. It is critical not to forget to remember to treat others with respect, and especially ourselves. Part of the human experience is learning and trusting in others. This, in all, will contribute to growing as a human being.

This drawing may look odd at first glance, but I promise I put the effort in to capture my thoughts! The lemons have no specific significance; I just love them. Still, we can imagine that it symbolizes how we can take lemons and make it into lemonade.

1 comment:

  1. This was so positive and optimistic. It is certainly hard to see past all this darkness right now. This feels like light. It also reminded me of the work of Frida Kahlo where the body become a plant and vice versa. I also think you would love the portrait work of Amy Sherald who uses bright backgrounds in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete