Thursday, April 23, 2020

Self Portrait About My Journey of Independence

Of course, everything that I write about now will be relative to the Pandemic. These are the following things I’m choosing to highlight are objects that I have created myself. The following are symbolic of my journey to independence: my homemade graphic T-Shirt, bagels, and face masks! I’m choosing to make this collection to be a part of my self-portrait because it is symbolic of how the Pandemic has affected me. 

For a couple of weeks, I’ve been battling with my thoughts and constantly in a state of feeling doomed. I hated having to adjust to the new normal and coming to terms that the old normal will never come back. I started to occupy myself by making things. One thing that stuck with me from the readings in class was the Third suggestion made by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in her book, Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions, “teach her self-reliance. Tell her that it is important to be able to do for herself and fend for herself. Teach her to try to fix physical things when they break.” (Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions, p.19) Before the Pandemic, I was too busy being reliant on business to get things done instead of trying to complete it myself. I wish I had it instilled in me that it is possible to be able to fix a problem that I have without the help of anyone. No better time to work on that way of thinking than now!

During the first week, I decided to create a T-Shirt design by photographing my brother, printing the photograph, and ironing the photo after encasing it in saran wrap.
Here’s a photo of my first homemade T-Shirt design:
The Original 

The Edit
The Completed Graphic Tee




Normally, I wouldn’t go out of my way to design a T-Shirt, but out of curiosity I took the initiative and decided to do it. After giving myself a reason not to buy expensive graphic Tees once outside reopens, I was filled with a high for independence. I wanted to find another thing to do complete on my own!

One morning, I woke with an extreme urge for fresh bagels! If you don’t know, the New Jerseyan breakfast diet is the food pyramid with just bagels inside.

I desperately wanted a Taylor Ham, Egg, & Cheese on a bagel, but I didn’t want to risk eating out. As a result of my fear of eating out, I decided to look up a recipe for bagels! The two types I made were sesame seed and plain. Making bagels wasn’t as hard as I thought. I so used to making the 15-minute drive to my favorite bagel shop because it was convenient, but making them at home is so much better after all!
Here’s a photo of the bagels I made:


Another completion to add to my independence and I was super eager to do more!

Another project I decided to take on was to learn how to sew and create my very own face mask.
This project may have been the most difficult because I struggled for a while by inserting the tip of the thread into the hole of the needle. It took me hours of watching YouTube videos on how to begin a stitch. (Poor me) I even shed a tear out of frustration because I desperately wanted my mom to help me, but I couldn’t build the courage to ask her. I was on my journey of independence! After a day of trial and error, I made my first mask!
Here’s a photo of the face masks I made:






I’ve made three so far and I’m planning to make another one on Thursday. (Mainly because I can’t work up the energy to go and throw my masks in the washing machine. I fear they won’t survive the aggressiveness of the washing cycles!) 


Not only are these objects are a tangible part of my life, but it has become a symbolic part of my identity. Referring to the reading, SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY OF IDENTITIES by Judith Howard, “The basic premise of symbolic interaction is that people attach symbolic meaning to objects, behaviors, themselves, and other people, and they develop and transmit these meanings through interaction.” p.371 I want these objects to be symbolic of my growth and want for independence. What I’ve learned is that before the Pandemic, I so used to depending on company’s simply because O grew up to be dependent on clothing companies, bagel shops, and healthcare companies to supply my needs. The funny part is that I never thought that a pandemic would be the reason why I will embark on my independence journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment