Friday, April 24, 2020

Self Portrait

 When it came to the Self-Portrait concept, I knew I wanted to draw something. Drawing is a hobby of mine that’s been around with me for a while, but it’s one that’s incredibly tricky for me to get a better understanding of and it’s an area that I want to improve in as much as I can. I took this Final almost like a challenge to see if my years of doodling have somewhat improved or not and while I feel like I rushed myself to complete it, I can’t help but feel satisfied with the end result.
The Final wanted us to create something that showed a reflection of who we are and while I knew what I wanted to do, it was pretty difficult to figure out how to execute it. I wanted to draw a collage of characters and icons from various mediums that have stuck around with me for as long as I can remember. On a number of occasions, I’ve found myself doodling some of  these characters during some of the less thrilling moments of work and school. So I thought it would be fitting if they were drawn as a part of my brain, considering they’re always on my mind. Each of the characters and logos played a big role in my life, influencing how I spent my time growing up, forging friendships and bonds I still have to this day, and inspiring me to pursue goals I’ve made during my childhood.
Front and center is Goku from Dragonball Z, arguably the most influential character in my head. The show to this day shares some of my fondest memories with my friends and family, as we all have a soft spot for the incredibly over-the-top action it provides. The bottom left sees Scorpion from the videogame, Mortal Kombat. I discovered the game back in 2011 when it was getting rebooted and was my main introduction to the fighting game genre. When I first played it, I couldn’t help but fall in love with all the characters and the stories behind them, cementing my status as a fan of the series and a fan of the genre itself. Not only that, but 2011 was also the year I discovered the Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool. My older brother and I would play an old Superhero video game, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and he would always have Deadpool as one of our teammates. He was always fun to play with and was always hilarious when he got to talking. From then, I instantly became a fan and did my best to see what other mediums he was a part of, whether it was comic books, video games, or even cartoons.
Although the other characters and logos aren’t as present as the others, they still play a huge role in my life and helped shape my identity. A Femminist Manifesto tackled this concept of identity and its importance in forging the next generation. Growing up, a majority of the things I liked, such as cartoons and wrestling action figures, came into question with my father. A number of times he’d want me to get rid of those things and start looking into some of his favorite hobbies, like cars and baseball. As a little kid, I tried my hardest to connect with him in that route, but it just wouldn’t stick with me. I felt as if my father wanted me to grow up sooner than I should, and I felt ashamed at times that I wasn’t able to. Looking back at the book however, it made me realize how common this was and how people want to create an identity off an already existing one. I believe my father wanted me to “grow up” as soon as possible, to be more like him in a way. Even though I’m NOWHERE near becoming a parent, this isn’t the preferred method of parent bonding. In my letter, I wanted to let my future child know that regardless of their interests, I want to be there every step of the way with them and help them improve in whatever field they want to excelle in. Identity is important and I want to be alongside my kids when they discover themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment