Friday, April 24, 2020

Final









In “Becoming” Mrs. Obama revealed, “One of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child— What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.” This is the same mindset I get once asked to create a portrait of myself. Not useless, but rather pointless. As if a person is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end and at that point, a painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of that person's prime becomes their defining factor. So when asked to do a self-portrait for this class I was going to do a painting of myself painting myself. Not because a large part of my identity is being a creator but because I was told to do a self-portrait. But with all the time allotted due to COVID, I was forced to step back and reflect. Powers of Ten (film) came to mind. Just as the film evolves from two clocks in the corner showing the comparison between the viewer's time and that of earth time. As the viewer's speed increases, earth time, relative to the viewer, also increases to an overhead view of a man and woman picnicking in a park at the Chicago lakefront — a one-meter-square overhead image of the figures on a blanket surrounded by food and books they brought with them, then The zoom-out continues (at a rate of one power of ten per 10 seconds), to a view of 100 meters (102 m). I chose to adopt that same concept into my self-portrait. That's why when confronted with self-portraits I don't think of the imagery of myself but rather experience that mold me. This particular self-portrait takes the form of a photo collage works of people who have made a huge impact in my life. The collage begins with a background of one of Kara Walker gallery shows. Kara Walker has been my inspiration as an artist, and her work shows me there's more to power art holds. Then Forefront is a group picture of  Individuals who have provided me with tremendous growth from conversations, lessons, and Critique(My art family). Within the picture, some Individuals hold frames images. Inside the frames are more collages Some frames hold original paintings and drawings done by me, while others hold family, friends, and significant others. Some of the Frameworks have digital paintings of people who influenced me, and events that build up my character and enhance my story. “Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own”(M. Obama).


No comments:

Post a Comment