Friday, April 24, 2020

Self-portrait Explained



Self-Portrait Explained
No one is certain about their own identity. Someone may have long decided what they are in their minds, and others might cost one whole life to find out. Self-identities could have various forms based on what people choose to become. By the help of modern communicating technologies and various medias, nobody is really “pure” to themselves. It is not a bad thing at all. More ideas and perspectives can be shared by nearly anyone around the world. However, it could also affect a person’s identity dramatically.
The media I choose to present my self-portrait is, well, not so closely to my outer appearance or the stereotype-alike kind of visual elements. The mechanic beetle and modified fighter jet in science-fiction anime are all from my spiritual favorites. As for the title, each viewer may have different answers. Someone will read it as “Artificial Life (-) forms”, and others might get the meaning that “Artificial” is actually “Forms” the “Life”. The first one is pretty easy to understand if combined to the visual. The Caucasus beetle on the left has been separated in two different body-parts combination: half is original/ biological, and the other half is clearly fake/ artificial.  Like I mentioned before in my previous paper, I am a science-fiction fan in a pretty deep and strict level. In honor to my knowledge to insects and my ethics professor who always trying to make me brain-storming, I have more tendency to imagining the possible future of artificial intelligence in almost every subject. So, what if a beetle had been controlled by a micro-chip and developed itself into a new species? Is it still a biological animal with “attachments” or a machine that shared body with the beetle? And what will it think of itself when it becomes rational beings? I found it very interesting and picked the theme for my piece of work. By any meanings, both beetles and A.I. are my main hobbies that could clearly define certain parts of me.   
 Putting the beetle Frankenstein away for now, the “Neuron Jet” on the right should also be attractive to someone. The concept of it is completely opposite to the fake beetle, basically making a non-life fighter jet into a superior kind of organic A.I. The two ways of changing is different, but the result could be very similar: we created something that capable to make rational decisions! I really hope human could find someway non-violent when first contacting with other intelligent beings. It is those fictions that altered my way of considering one’s identity and many ethical stuffs around it. Combining with the knowledge and experiences I have in this course; I am able to critique the topic in a better way.
The dark figure in the middle supposed to mean the person who needs to do these decisions I talked above. But it could also mean another me who is determined to study these stuffs in the future, and I hope I somewhat become at least some sort of him. I always loved biology despite of my considerably poor mathematical abilities. By the time I know that entomology is even harder and deeper under classification of biology, I just cannot handle all those numbers. But it does not mean I cannot continue my study in insects and their overall knowledge. Humans are weird sometimes: they never feel boring for the thing they really love to do. One more thing in the piece that I did not say is that the Chinese letter in the under left, it means “Life-form” in English. There is a tiny difference about the composition of the word. As you may already noticed, it has three characters. First two is equal to “Life” in English, but can also be used separately. And the last character means “body” or “form”. I barely have the idea to add Chinese elements into my works since the environment is just not that suitable. However, I feel more open to do whatever I want by the time I finished more studies in college and especially with the help of the cultural courses like CLQM in ACM. I hope you enjoyed my final project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment