Thursday, April 23, 2020

Self Portrait


My self-portrait is about identity on who I am as a person. I choose to make myself into a famous anime character from the show Demon Slayer because it felt right along the lines of the assignment and with everything we talked about in class. The reading that my self-portrait best embodies is that of Judith Howard`s Social Psychology Of Identities because I choose to identify as an anime nerd rather than choosing for society to give me a social identity.  I love anime always have and always will. The form is that of photoshop because I want to be a Graphic Designer in the future and I love the programs very much so I felt most comfortable expressing myself through the adobe program. This is who I am and it who my grandchildren will see, I don't plan to hide the fact that I am an Otaku (a term used to be derogative to people in the 1980s for those who enjoy this culture) even though the term may have a mean background I wear it like a badge of honor for like many, I would change who I am just because sociality doesn't like who I am or what I do. I love my community of anime nerds and while we may not all agree on what is the best thing to watch it’s a community that is filled with good people who just want to watch entertaining anime shows with friends and that's all I truly want. That is why I choose to make my self-portrait something that is close to my heart. I have been watching anime since I was 11 years old and still watch to this day and read manga which is way, I tried to give the effect of a cartoon look slash oil-based painting to better represent the character.  The character I am sort of portraying is name Tanjuro Kamado a young man who loses his family to demons and so goes on to become a demon slayer, the setting is edo period japan and is very alike to most anime main characters in that he is upstanding and always strives to be better and to accomplish his goal. The reason I like the work is because the writing is fantastic, with many plot twists and lovely characters that make you feel happy when they succeed and sad when they go.  It also has sub themes that mean anything from the human experience is a cycle of life and death and to try and cheat that cycle with things such as immortality is a disgrace to the human race to family is everything is one should look after ones family and protect them. Its just a great overall piece of work and many people have learned that from watching and reading the work. I hope to visit japan in the future and see where this animation is created for my own eyes. With that all being said this project was fun and I am glad I got to share my story of why anime is very important to me.

1 comment:

  1. This was so playful and an interesting way into the world of anime of which you are a strong advocate. Keep up the fun experiments. Also serious when I said it would be interesting to get a list of favorite anime of the class :) Got a few titles off the chat. I hope folks share more here too.

    ReplyDelete